Question
Posted by: Brenda | 2008/09/16

Period after caesar

I had a caesar 4 months ago. I didn' t breastfeed. I haven' t had a period yet. How long should I wait before I go see a doctor?

I struggled for 3 years to fall pregnant the first time so I don' t want to wait too long to try again. What is a safe period to wait after the caesar before trying again?

Dear Brenda

It would depend on whether you received special medication to stop the breast-feeding or whether this occurs spontaneously. In the case of the latter, it may be that some breast milk production is still taking place and prolactin levels may be inadvertently raised. Ideally you would like to have your serum prolactin checked and treated accordingly in order to restore your fertility potential to normal. I would suggest that you visit your practitioner as soon as possible and also have an ultrasound pelvic scan done.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim