Posted by: Confused | 2011-09-28

Good day

I left the contraceptive pill (Minerva) on 24 August 2011. It is the 28th of September and still no period. Not pregnant according to pregnancy tests and blood tests.

I''''ve had period like cramps as well as lower backache from 24 September 2011 and still today, it comes and goes. Could it be a delayed period?

Dear Confused

This appears to be a delayed period and may be caused by several reasons. The most common one being perhaps you may not have ovulated this month and therefore the period is delayed. There are other hormones that may affect the delay in the period such as thyroid dysfunction or high prolactin levels. The presence of ovarian cysts can also disturb a menstrual cycle. If this phenomenon is persistent, I would suggest that you visit your gynaecologist.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo