Question
Posted by: New Mom | 2010/05/04

Period

Hi, My baby was born on 12/01/2010 and i bled for ±  2 weeks. TO date I have not had a period again. What could this be? Is it normal. Please advise and thank you in advance.

If you are breastfeeding, it is normal not to have periods.

4
Posted by: New Mom | 2010/05/10

Yes I am breastfeeding. Please will you advise what the next step to follow should be. Can I bring it on with medication or would I need to go to a doctor?

Reply to New Mom

Posted by: Purple | 2010/05/06

Breastfeeding supresses ovulation, so it can take quite a while till your periods return. For some women they start again about 6 weeks after baby is born (especially if the mom is bottle feeding), for some their periods don''t return until baby is around a year old, most commonly though, your periods return at about 8 months - which is about 2 months after starting baby on solids.

Just because breastfeeding suppresses ovulation doesn''t mean you can rely on it as a contraceptive though. You just don''t know when you will start ovulating again. I know quite a few people with children who are less than a year apart in age. It''s not that uncommon.

Reply to Purple