Question
Posted by: Dairybell | 2009-01-29

Period

I have been off the pill now for almost 8 months, and we would really like to get pregnant.

I would really like to determine when I ovulate, but currently find it very difficult to determine when my period actually started.

A lot of the time it looks as if my period has started (bleeding) but and hour or two after it started it stops. A day or three (at the most) will pass and then my period will start again and the flow will be normal (it will continue for the normal 3 days). Which day should I take as my first day that my period started?

Dear Dairybell

My first advice would be to have a routine gynaecological evaluation and in particular to exclude possible endometriosis which might be one of the causes of this type of bleeding pattern. However, should the evaluation be normal, then you should take the day of first spotting or bleeding as Day 1 and then calculate your cycle length and ovulation from that point of reference. I would also recommend ovulation monitoring by means of urine LH testing kits such as Clearplan to be used from Day 10 of your cycle. These testing kits are more accurate than other method of ovulation monitoring such as cervical mucus testing or salvia testing or even temperature monitoring. In some however it may be necessary to use two kits back to back i.e. it may be necessary to test beyond 5 days in order to obtain the ovulation changes.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim