Posted by: CK | 2009-04-07

Period 14 days late, negative preg tests

Dear Doc

I am 42 years old. My period cycle has been very abnormal for the last 2 years, sometimes 28 days, it has been 42 days, the average about 35+ days. I had a miscarriage last year this time. My period was due around the 23rd of March (if I work on a 28 days cycle), since then I felt almost every day as if my period wants to start any moment. My face skin has suddenly pimples (never had that before, not even as a teenager!), my lower abdomen is sore (like you get just before your periods), my breasts were sore around the 23rd of March when I was supposed to get my periods, now it is just slightly sore. I have done 2 pregnancy home tests in the last week, both negative. I have no other pregnancy symptoms, how ever I am aware that they say it is never the same. I must honestly say that I am not fond of the idea being pregnant! I can then again not behave like a teenager who can' t take responsibility for unprotective sex. My husband will be thrilled to have a baby with me (his daughter of a previous marriage is 25 years old!!!!!!!!)
I am not sure what is really happening with my body, is it hormones? Maybe I did not ovulate? At this stage of my life I actually feels to see my gynae and get sterilised or whatever, just to sort out this from happening again! My last visit to my gynae was Aug 2008 and all was fine " down there" .

Doc, what do you suggest I do?

It does sound hormonal and you are probably not ovulating regularly. This may be the start of menopause. If this was the problem when you saw your gynaecologist last year, probably nothing has changed. If you do not want children, you should consider contraception as you may ovulate from time to time.