Question
Posted by: dad2b | 2012/01/19

Perineal massage

My wife is 35 weeks pregnant with our second child (the first was born through emergency caesar as he had the cord around his body). She is keen on natural birth but is very afraid of an episiotomy. She just sent me a link on perineal massages and I wanted to know what your opinion on this is. Recommended or not?

Also, I have to ask, will stretching her perinium cause her vagina to be less " tight"  (for the lack of a better term) or will this return to normal fully after childbirth? Will it lead to incontinence?

Lastly, does this then mean that she should stop doin kegals or should we do both kegals and the massage?

Thank you for your assitance.

There is no real proof that perineal massage works, but it won't do any harm. After childbirth the vagina is usually a bit more lax from the stretching. A small percebage of women have incontinence after a vaginal birth. I am not sure why you are doing the Kegel exercises now, but there is no reason to stop.

1