Question
Posted by: Lizelle | 2010/07/26

Perimenopause?

I went for my annual check up last week Wednesday and my gynae decided to do blood tests to check my hormone levels. On Friday i called for the result and was told by the receptionist yes my results are back and my hormone levels is low. My estrogen level is 20. When i asked her what it should be she said between 600 and a 1000. Is that correct? I have read about perimenopause and i have quite a few of the symptoms.
1. very low sex drive
2. extremely tired all the time
3. irregular menstrual cycle
4. memory loss
5. loss of concentration
6. put on weight
7. thinning hair
8. moody, irritability
9. heavier bleeding during menstrual cycle since birth of daughter
10. weaker bladder (after birth of daughter)
11. experience hot flushes every so often

I will be 39 years old this coming Wednesday.
Is this perimenopause?
What causes this? Is it my age? Is this the start of menopause for could there be another cause for this?
My gynae has put me on Estrofem now and i started taking it last week Thursday. I am not feeling better yet.
How long will it take before i start feeling better?
If i wanted to have another child would i be able to fall pregnant again?
Is the condition reversible with the estrofem?
I would appreciate any information you could give me.
Many thanks &  Kindest Regards

Oestrogen levels on their own are of little use. To diagnose menopause you need the FSH value. Many of your symptoms are non-specific and could be due to stress or any number of other conditions. The only way to check if you are able to have children is to check whether you are ovulating. This can be done with a Day 21 progesterone.

1