Question
Posted by: Thuli | 2010/06/04

perennial sinusitis causing dementia

Hi Pharm

It started in my twenties but is now out of control, we do have massive sinus problems in my family from my mum''s side but now the quality of my life is so affected I''m going insane. Every morning, violent sneezing and runny nose for maybe 45 mins - or 90 minutes on unlucky days. The sneezing is as violent as though pepper were inserted into the nostrils.

The rest of the day is mild sniffing and blowing, maybe every twenty to thirty minutes. I have never been in a meeting at work and not blown my nose at least a couple of times. It is so embarrassing but it is either that or sniff continuously, which is very corporate and professional. Always the mucous is runny and clear.

I have tried to eliminate allergens but why does this get me absolutely anywhere? Indoors, outdoors, January or June, dressed warmly, dressed lightly, my linen, hotel linen, carpeted rooms, tiled rooms. No dynamic makes a difference. I have no pets. If I happen to wake up around 3am, which I often do, I find my sinuses very blocked, usually one side, terribly stuffed. Normally there is nothing I can do  if I take Allergex at that time then I am very drowsy when the alarm goes off.

I guess I need some kind of chronic medication - is there something I can take every day? As I''m affected every single day of my life, it would have to be something gentle enough to be taken for years, is there any such medication? I can''t do with the violent start to every morning sneezing like I''ve lost my mind and blowing my nose louder than a vuvuzela. Help please! Just during the writing of this post I have blown my nose maybe 5 times. Watery mucous, coming from I don’ t know where.

Help! Quality of life unbelievably affected. It is so serious I dare not get into a relationship  how do I explain to someone that in the morning I turn into an elephant. No can do –  please help me Pharmacist.
Thuli

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi T

Yes, there are definite chronic options available. Best would be a combo of a steroid nasal spray (i.e fluticasone) and a once-a-day antihistamine such as zyrtec.

Speak to your doc regarding a script for the spray.

All the best!

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2010/06/14

Hi T

All the best!

Reply to pharmacist