Question
Posted by: Erika Grundeling | 2011/05/24

Pepe my miniature daschund

I went away for a few days on my return he urinated everywhere will it stop if I castrate him, he was not alone my husband stayed and Pepe sleeps in the house
please &  thank you

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Erika, nice to hear from you. Its very hard to say why this is occurring without a complete background. Firstly it could be physical, so check with your vet. Secondly it could have been caused by stress and even have an element of seperation anxiety (which is not a place to go!)Thirdly, another point is that intact males are more likely to 'mark' their territory when they are feeling insecure, so this could have caused it and because these areas now smell of him he will keep on doing it. Wash these areas soiled with a mixture of 2/3 water to 1/3 white vinegar to kill the odour. I would recommend two things:-
1. In addition to checking with you vet if it is medical have him neutered. This is responsible dog ownership and also much better for the dog - he will smell like all other neutered males and therefore not be a threat, he wont feel the frustration of smelling a bitch in heat and being unable to do anything about it and it cuts down on a host of possible medical related problems. Take care, Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/05/24

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert