Question
Posted by: Scared and confused | 2010/08/23

PEP: after seven days

I took PEP seven days after having unprotected sex (condom burst) because it took my medical AID (bonitas) to authorize the medication and said I could still take it within 7 days (as oppose to the 72 hours period): Would it still be effective?

Sorry that you have to go through this. We (in the public hospitals)usually do not give PEP after 72 hours because it is said to have zero effectiveness. (After 48 hours it has less than 30% effect) The ZERO however stands to be documented. It is in your best interest to finish your 30 day PEP as you do not want to develop resistance later and till documented even a 0.5% can save your life.
Hope you tolerate the treatment well.

2
Posted by: relax | 2010/08/24

Dude,

Perhaps post this on Cyberdoc''s site. 72 hours is the recommended maximum time so it seems strange to me that you were given the meds after 7 days. Nonetheless, from most information out there, the chances of contracting HIV from a once off condom burst episode are very slim. Any chance you can ask the girl you slept with to take a test? Go get tested now and again in 3 months time. Good luck.

Reply to relax
Posted by: sexologist | 2010/08/24

Hope you tolerate the treatment well.

Reply to sexologist