Question
Posted by: Theresa | 2011-04-15

People smoking in office

Hi please help!! I tried everything, but no one wants to help. I tried the Department of Health as well as the National Council against smoking but got no where.

I am 23 weeks pregnant and at work everyone smokes inside. I asked the over and over again but no one cares. I don''t even have a window in my office. When I came for an interview no one said anything about all the smoke.

There is no HR department and no smoking policy. The boss said everyone can smoke where they want to. All the second hand smoke is effecting my baby. Please tell me who I can contact.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

No, everyone can most certainly not "smoke where they want to"! The law is very clear on that.
The owner of a workplace can be fined up to R50,000 if his/her premises breach the smoking laws. No more than 25% of a workplace can be designated a smoking area. That area needs to be physically isolated from the rest of the interior i.e. it needs to be enclosed and the smoky air vented to the outside.
You need to keep pestering your local dept of health - the unit or person who deals with health inspection, and demand an inspection is done of youe work premises. Who actually owns the building - your employer may be renting from them, and they need to know the situation.
You are welcome to email me directly about this and I would be happy to help further with this.

3
Posted by: Olivia Rose-Innes | 2011-04-28

Olivia Rose-Innes, EnviroHealth Editor, oroseinn@sa.24.com

Reply to Olivia Rose-Innes
Posted by: Theresa | 2011-04-26

Thank you so much. How do I mail you directly?

Reply to Theresa
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2011-04-21

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert