Question
Posted by: BB | 2011/02/11

People smoking in office

Hi, I am 14 weeks pregnant and where I work everyone just smoke wherever they want. I asked numerous times for them not to smoke in my office since it can harm the baby but they just don''''t care.

I tried looking for another job but no one want to appoint a pregnant lady!

Please help.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: People smoking in offices

This is not legal and a complaint can be lodged with the department of labour.

7
Posted by: Quti | 2011/03/03

According to the Smoking Law an office is not automatically a designated non smoking area. Although businesses are required to have a smoking policy. It is very much up to management .

Reply to Quti
Posted by: Labour Lawyer | 2011/02/21

re: People smoking in offices

Reply to Labour Lawyer
Posted by: Anti Smoke | 2011/02/16

Every registered, legal company doing business from what can be accepted as a business premises, HAS to comply with the requirements of the Health and Safety Act where minimum standards are clearly stipulated regards rest rooms, noise pollution, lighting etc etc. Inspections are carried out by the Dept of Labour (I think) and if there are non compliance issues, fines are imposed or criminal prosecution if serious enough. I would start by getting hold of someone in the Dept Labour and they can advise you from there. Your company sounds like a two bit organization !

Reply to Anti Smoke
Posted by: No Expert | 2011/02/16

Even worse, they should be the example. Call the dept of health. Maybe they can help you, coz really i have never ever heard of that.

Reply to No Expert
Posted by: BB | 2011/02/15

Unfortunately it is management who smokes and the CEO the most. There are no windows where I sit or in the board room.

Reply to BB
Posted by: Anti smoke | 2011/02/14

That''s nonsense !! NO ONE is allowed to smoke at work except in designated smoking areas. Your Personnel Dept and Safety Dept are not doing their job and neither is your Manager and CEO. Its not up to you to enforce the no smoking policy. Kick up a fuss with those in authority. No need to change your job !

Reply to Anti smoke
Posted by: No Expert | 2011/02/14

Not too sure, but ALL over i worked, it is illegal. Maybe google something like " smoking in the office"  and see if there''s someone you can contact. Maybe Dept of Health, but really this is the first time i read that people still smokes in the office.

Reply to No Expert