Posted by: Dennis | 2010-05-30

Penis Swelling

I recently noticed swelling on one side of the shaft of my penis. I went to a doctor who believed this was due to a recent pimple near the area that infected the skin around it causing the swelling. She perscribed azithromycin to fight the infection and I have taken this for 3 days now.

The swelling is still there and there seems to be a hard cord (feels like a tendon) that goes from this area down to where the penis connets to the body. I can also feel this tightnness in my pelvic muscle just above the penis which feels like a pulled muscle in this area. I am concerned because the swelling has not begun to go down and now I am able to feel this hard substance. Do you believe this could simply be a pulled muscle that goes into the penis causing the swelling, or something more serious?

I do not believe that it is a "pulled muscle", as there are no muscles that descends from the pelvis to the penis. It is possible that the swelling is due to an infection or possibly due to an injury to the penis that you could have sustained unknowingly. This will cause an area of fibrosis (scar tissue) that is causing your symptoms. It is not something serious to worry about but I do suggest that you rather consult an urologist.