Question
Posted by: Jacque | 2011/03/02

Penis and Foreskin

I have a 2 year old whos penis is still closed at the top, no head showing. I am slowly trying to push the skin away to clean it, some white stuff. What is the correct way, and age for head to be showing and am i doing the right thing? When should I start worrying? He says ouch when i pull it back maybe a bit too much?

Hallo Jacque
The foreskin is naturally stuck to the penis in small boys and the white stuff is called "smegma" which is normal - it keeps the skin oiled and soft. Do not force the foreskin back - wash just as far as it wants to go as it will gradually loosen by itself as he grows. The only time that one needs to worry is when the foreskin blows up like a balloon when they urinate or if it gets stuck behind the penis head.

2
Posted by: Heleen | 2011/03/02

Leave it alone. I raised 3 boys and it opens naturally by about 6 or 7.
Don''t push the skin back too far. If it hurts him, it means you are tearing tissues. Then it can get infected easily.

Reply to Heleen
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/03/02

Hallo Jacque