Posted by: Jono | 2011-05-24

Penicillin injection &  Pain

Hi Doctor

I was recently contacted by a someone I had sex with and told that I should get screened for STIs. I got tested and I have primary Syphilis. My doctor decided to treat me with penicillin injections. The first one was administered by the nurse at the clinic and was very painfull. When she inserted the needle in the upper buttock it felt like she hit a nerve. My legs were painful for two days and it felt like I had a golf ball inserted there.

Today, a week later, I went to get the second shot. My doctor did it, but he inserted the needle closer to the hip area. It was a little sore, but within half an hour the pain was gone.

I am now wondering if the nurse gave me the wrong injection, or if the amount of pain depends on their technque. What I would like to know is if some penicillin injections (2.4ml) are more painful than others, depending on the technique used.

Thank you.

Intra-muscular injections of penicillin is very painful. The amount of pain will also depend on the technique of the injection. Rather insists that your doctor gives you the injections.