Posted by: Tina | 2009-12-14

My husband initiated divorce proceeding in September cos he was unhappy with the marriage. A month later we began talking to each other and became intimate. But he wont stop the divorce neither does he feel comfortable to go to a counselor.
Now i discover i am pregnant. He suggests an abortion.
How do I deal with this. We have been married 21 years and have 2 teen kids.
I reside in durban.

Expert ImageDivorce support expert

Dear Tina,

All of our life experiences is based on choices even if sometimes they seem to chose us. The most important, and hardest part is taking responsibility for those choices especially when they don't suit us.

Your husband seems to have made up his mind about the future of your relationship and his comment about the recent news of your pregnancy should be enough to possibly understand that he is not the person you want to spend the rest of your life with.
You are nonetheless left with a huge a challenge and a huge decision for you to make.
How do you deal with this?
It is time for you to open up to the possibility of a new scenario in your life and explore your opportunities that are arising from this situation.

Divorce is not a breakup point in your life but a change of direction.

I would encourage you to seek some "divorce life coaching" to assist you on your new journey. Changing directions can be very daunting, especially when you don't know where you are going, but engaging on this new journey cautiously will allow you to discover possibilities that would otherwise not have presented themselves to you.