Question
Posted by: Jeanette | 2011/12/09

Pelvic pain after birth

My gynae has booked me in for a MRI scan. I have been walking with tremendous pelvic pain since the birth of my third child in December last year. In the pouch of douglas she can see two dark spots that looks like a moist collection that may be the cause of this pain. Especially in my lower back it is unbearable. I forgot to mention to her that the nurses that assisted me at the government hospital refused to break my water and told me that I must push because there is no time to worry about this. Upon giving my first hard push I managed to break the amniotic fluid sac but it went along with a tremendous sharp pain. Could something perhaps have gone wrong in breaking the amniotic sac like this? With my first two births I could afford medical aid and the gynaes ensured that the water was broken before the birth procedure started. Shouldn''t it always be broken before the mother can start pushing?

There is no need for the waters to be artificially broken. If they break during pushing this is quite natural and would not cause any problems. I am not sure what the spots are in the pouch of douglas that your gynae is seeing. Your pain may also be from straining of the ligaments of the pelvis.

1