Question
Posted by: Tshimologo | 2010/02/23

Pelvic Inflamatory desease (PID)

I had a foul smelling discharge and i went on Thursday evening and on Saturday i went to the doctor and they only did a urine test and he said that i had PID and he did not give me more info about this condition. He prescribed some anti-biotic and a pill to insert in my vagina. i then went to the internet to get more information and when going through the different sites i noticed that PID can be diagnosed by taking samples of the discharge and testing that. is it possible that he could have wrongly diagnosed me or not.
a bit of history:
- i have 2 kids and i had 2 miscarriages in between the kids and the doctors could not say what the cause was.
- i got both kids through ceasarian section.
- i''m currently using mirena since 2005 august. after inserting the mirena i would have occassional pain during intercourse.
- i''ve never had a normal period since i inserted the mirena

PID is usually diagnosed by examination. The swabs of the discharge are not very useful. If the discharge does not get better with the antibiotic, then you may need to consider another diagnosis.

1