Question
Posted by: sarah | 2008/09/05

peel

Goodmorning. I suffer from acne marks and ive tried everything to get rid of it. What is your expert opinion of a peel ? Is it not bad for your skin - wouldnt a peel make my skin very thin? I also think my skintone is very dull (im 24 years old and currently using roc calmace products) Would you recommend a peel (maybe just a 20% peel) to get rid of acne marks and to make me skin appear fresher and not so dull. I also suffer from pigmentation marks.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Sarah, thank you for the question.

I have a number of unbiased and straight to the point articles on chemical peels on my web page: www.aetsheticfacialenhancement.co.za. When you get there just search the word Chemical Peels.

In a nutshell if used correctly peels should not thin your skin.

Moderate to severe acne scarring usually requires a more aggressive approach and medium depth peels, such as the TCA 20%, or laser scar removal need to be considered (Fraxel, Lumenis Ultrapulse). Both these options will leave you with downtime such as redness, scabbing, and even swelling.

For mild acne scarring and the pigmentation one may consider a good quality IPL such as:
Syneron’s eLight or eMax or Ellipse
One will get improved results by combining these IPL treatments with either microdermabrasion (preferably diamond tip) and/or Glycolic acid peels (my personal preference NeoStrata Peeling System).