Question
Posted by: Maria | 2011-06-10

Peeing

My male Husky (2 years) are peeing on the bottom corner of my bed. It is the second time it happened. I washed everything but this morning he did it again and he does it while we not the room. I have a six year old Husky bitch as well. Is he marking, I am worried he gets to bossy?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Maria, to it sounds like he has not been neutered? If not, then do get him done as soon as possible and this will help to reduce the amount of marking taking place.

1. First of all, read this link on toilet training
mehttp://www.health24.com/medical/Focus_centres/777-2268-2552-2678,61400.asp on the Health 24 site which will give you the basis of starting training again which i would recommend.
2. In between, wash all the items with a one third white vinegard to two thirds water several times. If you are using any household products they normally contain amonia which makes it smell even more like a toilet!
3. Deny the dog access to the room while you are doing the retraining of the toilet behaviour.
Ensure the dog is getting plently physical and mental stimulation. This is really important to a breed like the Husky.
4. This behaviour could even be a result of stress i.e. new addition to the family, lack of regular walks when they were common before, upsets in the family, new dog next door etc. We dont always realize how much stress can affect a dog and as it cant just sit down and talk it out, tends to revert to behaviours to help it cope.
Finally i would suggest you bring in some basic house rules to make your dogs feel more secure and that you are in charge.

Hope this helps, good luck Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-06-13

Hope this helps, good luck Scotty

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert