Question
Posted by: septimus | 2012/08/31

Q.

pectrolyte for diarrhoea

We are bundu bashing with our dogs. The nervous one has a bit of diarrhoea- a fairly common occurrence- and I have no dog diarrhoea meds here. Can I give him pectrolyte, the human diarrhoea medicine. I have heard of people giving dogs pectrolyte which I do have with me. What is the dosage per kilogram of dog?

1
user comments
Posted by: Frank | 2012/09/01

Yes, pectrolite works well for dogs - the dosage would be comparable to the child dosage given on the package insert. You can''t really go terribly far wrong - the ''active ingredients'' are kaolin and pectin, both of which serve to ''bind'' the loose stools. No toxicity would result from too much - just apply common sense and you''ll be fine. As matter of interest, there''s some evidence that weak tea might also help a bit if your dog is prone to runny tums - the tannin acts as an astringent on the lining of the gut. See if he''ll take some, and try it out - also can''t do any harm.

Reply to Frank

Want to comment?