Question
Posted by: Angie | 2008/07/09

Peanuts

Is it okay for me to eat peanuts with raisins throught the day. It keeps the hunger away and I drink 2liters of water a day and I have a diet soda sometimes.

I am trying to lose some wait and I feel that the peanuts are working for me.

I do eat some cooked porridge in the morning, but thats it for the day.I also take my vitamins
Will it affect my health?

Dear Angie
Any diet that only uses one or two foods is not balanced and can lead to vitamin and mineral deficiencies (people tend to forget the latter and you would for example be at risk of a calcium deficiency because your diet contains no milk or dairy products). Peanuts and raisins are excellent foods which are rich in plant protein, 'good fats', B vitamins (the peanuts) and iron (the raisins), but both have a very high energy content (peanuts = 2431 kJ per 100g and raisins = 1253 kJ/100g), so you would need to limit your intake to a total of 6300 kJ per day to lose weight. When you get tired of eating just 2 foods or if you don't lose weight on this regimen you can try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).