Question
Posted by: Jo | 2008/10/16

peanut free diet

Please help. My 17mth daughter has an allergy to peanuts. Can you perhaps help me with a list of food that is safe for her to consume? I have tried asking in store but people seem unwilling to help. Her paed told me that she needs to stay away from penauts, nuts and seeds. I' m reading all the ingredients on the boxes and am finding it very difficult to find food that does not contain any of the above. Your help will be appreciated.

Dear Jo
Peanut allergy is one of the most difficult allergies to treat because as you have already discovered so many processed foods contain nuts or seeds or peanuts. Basically the safest solution is to give your child only fresh foods that you yourself have prepared - meat, fish, eggs, cheese, yoghurt, milk, fruit and vegetables, porridges and breads (here you will have to check the labels carefully). Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food-related diseases' to read the articles on peanut allergy. Also visit the SA Allergy Association Website at: www.allallergy.co.za . For recipes that avoid the offending foods, you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za . I would still urge you to make a plan to consult a dietitian when next you visit one of the larger centres (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you through this difficult period while you need to adjust to providing a diet that is free of peanuts, nuts and seeds, but that still ensure normal growth.

2
Posted by: I Luv It | 2008/11/28

Try Sunspread, made from Sunflower seeds, in a nut-free factory.

Reply to I Luv It
Posted by: Jo | 2008/10/17

Thank you so much doc. This is the most information I have gotten out of anyone to date. Much appreciated.

Reply to Jo