Question
Posted by: Maxi | 2008/08/28

PCOS seen on scan but no other symptoms

We have been TTC for more than 2 years. We are both 39. I have a daugther of 15 and fell pregnant with her very easily (of course I was only 24 then)
During the last 2.5 years I fell pregnant twice but unfortunately miscarried in both cases.
We went to see a fertility specialist recently who mentioned that she could see some PCOS on the scan, but I have no other symptoms suggesting that I have it. Could this be one of the reasons for our infertility, and is our chances better to conceive on IVF than on AI?

Dear Maxi

To base the diagnosis of PCOS purely on ultrasound alone without any clinical or biochemical supporting evidence would be somewhat premature. Furthermore, the fact that you have spontaneously conceived on two occasions mitigates against the diagnosis of PCOS as a cause for your fertility. The primary effect of PCOS is ovulatory dysfunction and in turn, this will lead to menstrual irregularity. I would recommend a more thorough evaluation of the fertility problem but certainly an IUI may be warranted in your case before attempting IVF.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Dee GTC | 2008/08/28

I have excatly the same - PCOS ovaries but no other symptoms. We have been trying for almost 3 years now. Im currently on my 3rd IVF cycle. I wouldnt waste my time on AI, if you have the money go straight to IVF.

Reply to Dee GTC