Question
Posted by: Delia | 2008-12-20

PCOS or Endometriosis?

I have been from one doctor to another. For the past 6 years I suffer from SEVERE cramping in the lower abdomen and lower back pain from the 14th to the 20th day of my cycle. I do have regular periods (32 days). There is no heavy flow although it last about 3 days from start to finish. I started having periods at 16 and a half years and it was extremely painfull from the beginning. Now the pain is not so extreme when having my period but rather in the time I mentioned above. My gynaecologist diagnosed me with PCOS, but since I do have regular periods, am not overweight and do not have excessive hair growth, I disagree strongly. I asked if it can be edometriosis but he said that I shouldnt'  be concerning myself with things like that...and should take a panado to kill the pain. LOL. Hope you may have a better answer for me.

PCOS is diagnosed on ultrasound and can occur even with regular periods,etc. It does not cause pain.
Endometriosis causes painful periods and can only be diagnosed with laparoscopy. What you describe is not typical. I would suggest that you get a second opinion if you are unhappy.

1
Posted by: Me | 2008-12-22

I think you should go for a second opinion. I do have PCOS, are overweight and also have the hair problem. But I was lucky, I conceived normally after 14 years of marriage and my son is now almost 3 years old.
Good Luck

Reply to Me