Question
Posted by: Mark | 2011/07/04

PCOS Dietician

My wife was diagnosed with PCOS and we have been going to a fertility clinic for the last 2 years with no success

We have decided that we really need to loose weight and change our diet if we are going to succeed

I am struggling to find a dietician in our area and was hoping for some recommendations

We live in Benoni so basically any where on the East Rand would be fine

Dear Mark
I can for ethical reasons not refer you directly to a dietitian, but if you visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian", you should be able to find a dietitian in the East Rand area. PCOS is linked to insulin resistance which is in turn exacerbated by overweight. The dietitian will assist you with an energy-reduced, low-fat, low-GI (glycaemic index) diet. A low-GI diet helps to improve blood insulin and glucose levels thus reducing insulin resistance. Daily exercise is also valuable to normalise blood glucose and insulin levels and promote weightloss, so do consider starting an exercise programme together. You could perhaps join Walk for Life, or a gym or go for brisk walks every day for at least 30 min.
I do hope that you lose weight, get the PCOS under control and manage to fall pregnant.

1

Dear Mark