Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2011/05/13

PCOS Diet

Hi Diet Doc,
I have just been diagnosed with PCOS and my husband and i are wanting to conceive. I am 34 years old. I have seen a dietician and she has basically given me a diet that looks like this:
B/ 2 slice Rye Bread and 2 eggs
S/Fruit and Peanut Butter
L/ Lean Protein and Salad with 1 portion starch Veg like peas/Corn
s/ Fruit and Yoghurt
D/ Same as lunch

IS this sufficient or do you think i need to do more to help me loose weight and lower my insulin levels.

Dear Cindy
PCOS is often associated with insulin resistance, which is treated with a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet. From what you mention about the diet it appears that the dietitian has prescribed a low-GI diet for you. You should lose weight with this diet because it addresses the problem of insulin resistance with its low glycaemic index. If you combined this type of diet with regular daily exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for at least 30 or more minutes a day, this should not only promote weightloss, but also improve your insulin levels and stimulate your metabolism.
So use the diet as prescribed by the dietitian and start doing plenty of regular exercise.
Holding thumbs that you soon conceive.

3
Posted by: Cindy | 2011/05/16

thank you so much!

Reply to Cindy
Posted by: Janice | 2011/05/16

Hi Cindy,
I had the same problem and managed to loose 4 kgs and concieved (we were given a 5% chance!).
Stick to the diet, eat every 3 hrs and you''ll get there too. A bit of sacrifice but worth it!

Good luck!

Reply to Janice

Dear Cindy
Holding thumbs that you soon conceive.