Question
Posted by: tinytstar | 2009-08-31

pcos.... at wits end!

I a 30 year old woman who has been struggling with PCOS for years... I have been to numerous Gynies over the years who have been very unhelpful.. They have done ultra sounds etc and I have a lot of cysts on on my ovaries, but they never seem to think this a problem as they say I am not very overweight and am not currently trying to have children

I do however constantly struggle with my weight ( it yo yos up and down 5-6kg every three months or so and I have to eat basically nothing to keep at a normal weight), have very bad acne scarring, facial hair (which I get Lazored off) and either do not get my period for months or get it every second week and its very heavy.

I am just so tired of being to told just take the pill
I dont take it and dont want to as I does not actually fix the problem.
. I want to sort this out as I would like to start having children next year and I am just tired of having to fight this constant battle and feeling so physically terrible.

I just cant face going to another gynie... I feel completely depressed at this point.

Also I notice that if I drink Alchohol even just a glass of wine once a week- this seems to affect my period as well? Is this possible.

Many Thanks

PCOS cannot be cured. However, the symptoms can be managed. Most of this management involves the Pill. A Pill such as Diane 35 would help with the irregular periods, acne and facial hair. I am not sure why you don';t want to take the Pill but, like if you had high blood pressure, a specific pill would be needed to control it as there is no cure. When you want to have children, you will need help to ovulate with drugs such as Clomid.

2
Posted by: tinytstar | 2009-09-02

Thanks..its nice to know your not alone..

the lazer has helped me ALOT!

I have done my chin and sideburns and there are barely any hairs there anymore...

Its about R200-R300 a session but you only need 6-10 sessions and these are only every 6 weeks so its worth it!

I do want to have to have children so it is a worry! although my sister has it as well and has managed to ahve three children without a problem!

Good luck with your weight..its really such a nightmare..

Reply to tinytstar
Posted by: Daisy | 2009-09-02

I am 35 and have suffered with PCOS for yrs. Like you I have severe acne scarring and facial hair. I have also suffered hair loss. I was also told to just take the pill, Dianne to be specific. I also went months without a period or just bled a lot for long periods. I conceived my 1st child 6 yrs ago after a course of hormone treatment. After her birth my periods stopped and I stopped ovulating altogether. I suffer secondary infertility and after fertilirt treatment, haven' t conceived.

Please don' t take your PCOS lightly. I had put on 40kgs since my child' s birth as a result of insulin resisitance. So hard to lose the weight now. Please visit an fertility specialist to have a thorough check. I am sure that you would like to have a child someday. It' s actually the fertility specialist that got me started on glucophage and explained everything about PCOS to me.

Good luck. By the way, does the laser help for the facial hair? I am at my wits end. I either bleach or use a hair removal cream.

Reply to Daisy