Question
Posted by: MV | 2009/10/22

PCOS and recurrent yeast infection

About 3 years ago I was diagnosed with PCOS. It seems to be hereditary in my case, since my mother has it as well. My gynae put me on Yasmin. My bloodsugar was also tested as well as my cholestrol. Everything fine.

For years now I have been struggling with recurrent yeast infections. I get rashes all over my body as well as vaginally, orally and anally. I also have IBS (diarrhoea) and I have noticed that bouts of the IBS occur when I have somekind of yeast infection.

This year I had 3 doses of antibiotics in 2 months and my yeast problem got completely out of control. After many anti-fungal treatments I started with the Candida diet, which seems to work although I still get yeast symptoms during my periods.

During this period of time my doctor got a full blood count to check for problems, but all was clean. She also checked my blood sugar, but no problems there.

According to the internet, women with PCOS often have problems with their insulin which could cause yeast infections. Is it possible that I have a problem with my insulin which the normal bloodtest (it was not a fasting test) did not pick up?

You should do a fasting glucose insulin ratio to see if you have a problem with your sugar. Have a look at the Top 5 questions for ways of preventing recurrent thrush.

4

Posted by: K | 2009/10/23

Hi. Have you guys tried Probiotics 9? Heard it really good at keeping Candida etc. away.

Reply to K
Posted by: Me3 | 2009/10/22

HI There

Wow, I also have PCOS, on Yasmin and recurrent yeast infections, and recurrent bladder infections, I' m totally fed-up. Beware, I managed to give my boyfriend a yeast infection, poor guy really suffered. This has totally killed my sex drive and confidence, have been in this relationship for many years and now I feel constantly worried that I' m going to reinfect him, needless to say our sex life has gone down the tubes and if I do find the enthusiasm to have sex I find the sex painful with condoms. I really hope there is an answer to our problems, really starting to sound like there are a few of us in the same situation.

Reply to Me3
Posted by: metoo! | 2009/10/22

Hi there.
Thats really interesting. I also have PCOS and on Yasmin, and also suffer from like chronic yeast/bladder infections (not involving other areas as yours does).
I' d be interested in the reply.

Reply to metoo!