Question
Posted by: Anne | 2009/12/21

PCOS and kids

Hi Dr, when I was in high school, which is a good 9 years ago, my period was very irregular and once i went a whole year w/o getting my period. I' ve been on Diane since my high school days. recently i stopped the pill and for those four months off it, I only got my period once. Is there something to worry about? I' m married for a year and I am worried that when we want to have kids I will have problems falling pregnant. My gynae said I have PCOS and the ovaries look that that of someone that has PCOS (has the pearl neckless) b ut the tests came back normal- i.e you said the results were normal in our last posting- so I am confused and worried. Thanks!

PCOS is diagnosed more accurately on ultrsound than with blood tests, so if the ultrasound appearance shows a 'string of pearls' then this makes the diagnosis of PCOS. It does sound like you are not ovulating and will need medication in order to fall pregnant.

1