Question
Posted by: Fattie | 2010-03-02

PCOS and Insulin resistance

Hi Dietdoc, I was recently diagnosed with PCOS due to insulin resistance as well as an slightly underactive thyriod (TSH was 4.5 is now 3.1 since taking eltroxin 0.05 - still on it).. I was thinking of joining Weigh-Less to get my weight under control and hopefully these problems will get better as I am overweight. Do you think Weigh Less is good for these conditions? I heard that a carb restricted diet would be the best way to go. Please let me know as I would like to get my health back on track again.

Dear PCOS
Although I think Weigh-Less is an excellent organisation and their diet well balanced and sensible, it is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, PCOS, any medications you may be taking and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI) (please note that this is NOT a carb-restricted diet, but a diet that permits you to use low-GI carbs). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).

3
Posted by: Anon | 2010-03-02

Go on a Low GI or Low Carb diet .... and you must exercise

Posted by: Rae | 2010-03-02

I think the best way to loose weight it to go to a dietician.

They are more effective and you will have better control and results.

As for weigh-Less they are good but they make you feel bad if you don''t loose weight ....

Reply to Rae
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-03-02

Dear PCOS