Question
Posted by: Hailey | 2011/01/18

Pcos and ICSI

What are the chances of ICSI being successful with me being diagnosed with PCOS?
I''ve previously done ICSI at your facility ie when I didn''t have PCOS. It was successful, but lost my baby preterm.
Fell pregnant naturally shortly after.
But I''m now trying for baby no 2. Husband sperm count is 6 mill. Low morphology,low mobidity,low morphology and many abnormal structured sperm. Now that I have PCOS, I feel discouraged, and affraid it won''t work. Also don''t understand that if hubby has a history of poor sperm quality, then how was it possible that I fell pregnant previously naturally?? I have a healthy beautiful 2 year old from no treatments!

Dear Hailey

If you have a low sperm count and morphology, it does not mean that you do not have the ability to conceive. It simply means that with a low sperm count and quality the ability to conceive is reduced but not impossible. It must also be understood that sperm quality and count will differ from month to month and this is also influenced by lifestyle, stress and medications. Your chances of falling pregnant with ICSI, whether you have PCOS or not would be very similar so having PCOS do not necessarily decrease your chances of conceiving. As a percentage your chances of conception with assisted reproductive techniques such as ICSI would be in the region of 40%-45%.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/01/26

Dear Hailey

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert