Question
Posted by: Janice | 2011/05/16

PCOS and IBS diet?

Hi Dietdoc

I have both PCOS (and obvious insulin resistance) and IBS. The diets required to deal with both these conditions have some similarities but seem to contradict each other in some major ways. Is it possible to have a low GI diet that is kind to IBS too?

Janice

Dear Janice
It is indeed quite a challenge to develop a diet that treats both IBS and insulin resistance, particularly if your IBS is of the type that reacts negatively to high-fibre foods (the diarrhoea-type). This is the reason why I always recommend that patients with multiple conditions consult a registered dietitian to assist them with a specific diet prescription that makes provision for all their nutrition-related problems. It is indeed possible to create a low-GI diet that also alleviates IBS. I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she/he can work out a diet prescription that takes all your individual factors into account. The dietitian should also guide you through the initial stages of applying such a diet (low-GI diets can be tricky) and follows up your progress. Also keep in mind that IBS is particularly sensitive to stress. If stress is a factor in your life, please consider learning relaxing techniques and how to do deep breathing exercises and do some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.

1

Dear Janice