Posted by: Ana | 2009-02-20

PCOS and diet

Hello dr. I must first comment you on your brilliant work. Thank you. I have been recently diagnosed with PCOS. Went for all the necessary blood tests and all came out well i.e insulin, thyroid etc was all fine. I am however overweight. Have a bmi of 28 and have to loose 15kg. I have been trying for the past 5wks and have only lost 2kg in the 1st 2wks and thereafter nothing. I follow a low gi eating plan i.e all bran wit lf milk 4 bf, lunch 2 slices low gi bread wit egg,tuna,chick or cheese, supper grilled chick (protein) with either veg or salad. No potato or bread at night and my snacks are usualy an apple,banana or ff yoghurt. I brisk walk 3times a week for 30min. I cheat 3times a week or so by having only 1 block of choc caus i crave it. I know it bad but cant help it. I only drink water 2l. What should i do. I really really want to conceive and feel that my weight is the only thing holding me back. Thanx in advance. It is very apreciated.

Dear Ana
Thank you for your kind words - they cheer me up no end. It is unusual that you have PCOS without insulin resistance because in most cases these 2 conditions are linked quite closely. You are, however, following a low-GI diet and most of your food choices are already low-fat or fat-free which should reduce the energy content of your diet and thus lead to weightloss. You are also doing aerobic exercise which should help with the weightloss. Did the tests show that your female hormones are ok? if not, this could be hampering weightloss. You can try increasing your exercise to 30 min a day to try and stimulate your metabolism (exercise is still the best metabolic stimulant available), but if you have still not lost any additional weight in 2-3 weeks, then I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian needs to calculate your energy intake to see if you have reduced your intake to 6300 kJ per day and to monitor why you are not losing weight.
Holding thumbs that you can start losing now and also fall pregnant