Question
Posted by: Nads | 2011/07/18

PCOS and conceiving

Hi there,

i was diagnosed last year with PCOS and went for ovarian drilling in Feb last year. My gynae at that stage said that i would not be able to concieve.
I went for a check up in March this year to another gynae and he said that everything looked perfect. Is there a need for me to worry about not being able to conceive? we have recently started trying and nothing yet.
is there maybe something that i can take to improve fertility?

Nads

Dear Nads

If you have polycystic ovarian syndrome and you are not ovulating then, certainly you would make it much more difficult to conceive. If however you have polycystic ovarian syndrome but are ovulating then you should be able to conceive provided there are no other abnormalities present such as blocked fallopian tubes or problems with your husband’s sperm. I suggest you ask you gynaecologist to check and see if you are ovulating or not.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

4
Posted by: zeksie | 2011/08/12

Please advice I have been going through lot of operation to check , open tubes but no positive result and I am tired of going the same process
Everytime I see my gaena , everything seenms okay don''t know what causes you not to conceive , than suggest to go through check up opration again.
I decided to eat health and leave it to God
Is there any other ways to check or determine the fertility or why I am not conceiving besides going to the theatre

Please assist

Reply to zeksie
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/07/26

Dear Nads

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: SR | 2011/07/20

Rather go see a fertility Specialist. I had oviaian drilling done in 2009 and fell pregnant soon after, but the effects don''t last forever, I had it done by a fertility specialist since i had heard of some horror stories from Gynaes who had done the surgry and caused more scarring. The diet and loosing weight doesn''t work for all. I am not overweight but i have PCOS and Clomid didn''t even help me get a follicule. I even had IVF stimulates and didn''t get a follicule - the drilling was my last resort and it worked. If you have PCOS and have tried for 6 months with no results - go see a fertility speciaist.

Reply to SR
Posted by: Dee | 2011/07/19

I wouldn''t worry - there are a lot of gynae''s that do not know much about PCOS, I have advanced PCOS and had a healthy baby girl 8 years ago and we are now again TTC, my gynae put me on Gloucophage &  Clomid (which was the same with my first). My advice if you are overweight loose the kilos and maintain a healthy low GI diet. There are alot of websites in regard to PCOS and how/what you can use to increase fertility but best speak to your gynae. All the best and good luck

Reply to Dee