Question
Posted by: Vee | 2010/06/02

PCOS and acne

Hi I have PCOS and have been getting alot of acne since i have come off the pill. I gym at least 4 times a week and try and eat healthy by eating low GI foods and alot of fish and chicken. But have been unable to lose the last bit of fat and now since im off the pill the acne has been flaring up again. I think i need to alter my diet again, what can i substitute for coffee due to the caffeine content. Other than water, what warm drinks are good to have since its winter. Also what high zinc foods can i eat to reduce the hormonal acne its causing.

Dear Vee
It is excellent that you are eating low GI foods for your PCOS and doing plenty of exercise - well done. I would advise that you consult a Dermatologist for your acne because if diet alone is not controlling your acne then you may require additional treatment which the Dermatologist will provide so that you don't develop scarring. 4 cups of coffee a day are not regarded as harmful, and cutting out coffee will not affect your skin. You can also drink rooibos or green or black tea (with milk) as they are all rich in antioxidants. Warm fat-free milk is also an option (low-GI, very low-fat content. Generally speaking meat, fish and wholegrain cereals are rich in zinc, just select very lean meat and stick to low-GI cereals.

1

Dear Vee