Posted by: Anon | 2009-09-24

PCOS and abnormal SA

Dear Dr
I hope you will forgive me for asking a very unfair question!
My husband has some sperm issues (low normal counts, normal-ish motility, low morphology - 2%) while I have polycystic ovaries, no endocrine issues. We had a baby girl conceived on a timed medicated cycle, as well as twins eventually conceived on IFV #2. What would be our chances of falling pregnant naturally? What are the chances of my husband' s numbers improving (he has a high stress job, but in for a much lower stress job in January - reason for his counts unknown by the way). And lastly, I control well on Mirelle, could the pregnancies have sorted out my ovaries?

Thanks you!

Dear Anon

In my experience with a morphology of 2% the chances of natural conception is extremely low and although low sperm counts can quite easily be managed by medication the morphology problem is a lot more difficult to address by conservative means. However a repeat sperm analysis might be extremely valuable as morphology percentages can fluctuate and it would be interesting to see what the present status is.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim