Posted by: Lees | 2010-01-27

PCOS &  Thyroid confusion

Dear Dr Debbie,

I have been diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance as well as an underactive thyroid. However, to be honest I never thought to ask my gynae/GP the severity. She was however confident that treating me with glucophage &  eltroxin would be adequate - as well as explaining the importance of diet and exercise. I am currently on Glucophage 850mg twice daily &  eltroxin 0.1mg.

I recently accompanied a friend of mine to a homeopath and I was told that the glucophage &  eltroxin could have harmful side effects and that I should get off them asap and follow the medication as prescribed by the homeopath.

I have felt rather confused &  would appreciate any feedback.

Kind regards,

Expert ImageNatural health

long term use of Eltroxin makes your thyroid sluggish. because the drugs gives your body the hormone your own body gets lazy in producing its own hormones. You need to try and find out the problem of sluggish thyroid - could be stress related. if you are trying to fall pregnant, and are in a rush then the glucophage might work faster than the herbal medication but if you are looking for a life style change and to keep your blood sugar under control then the second option might be more advisable.

Dr Debbie

Posted by: Lees | 2010-01-29

Hi Dr Debbie,

Thank you for the reply.

If I would like to fall pregnant soon and then thereafter change to herbal medication, is that a possibility?

Kind regards,

Reply to Lees