Question
Posted by: Wondering | 2008/10/16

PCOS &  the pill - PLEASE HELP!

When I was about 17 I started to get a bit of hair growth on my chin - my mom took me to the doctor and he recommended I see a gynae as he thought it might be caused by PCOS. I do not exhibit any of the other symptoms such as obesity or achne, just the hair on my chin. I had a scan done and they saw polyps on my ovaries, but not cysts. What is the difference? So with that discovery I was put straight onto the pill and 8 years later here I am, still on the pill and unaware whether I actually have PCOS or not... I know they use the pill to " treat"  the PCOS symptoms, but I am so sick of being on it now and think I am going to discontinue using it... I' ve booked an appointment to see my gynae in 2 weeks time to finally find out whether I have it or not... What I would like to know is, if I do indeed have PCOS, will I have to stay on the pill? Or are there other ways of treating it? Any other advice would be very welcome :)

Thank you!!

If you do have PCOS, you will have to stay on the Pill until you wish to fall pregnant.

1
Posted by: LL | 2008/10/17

The pill does not treat the PCOS - it cannot be cured anly maintained. The pill just brings on your period since you wont have regular periods without it. I have pcos.

You need to check with your gynae if it will be ok to go off it. Most probably what will happen is you will have irregular periods, if you do in fact have pcos, whcih will mean you dont ovulate regularly and will struggle to conceive. Best to get your gynaes opinion..

Best of luck!

Reply to LL