Question
Posted by: Anon | 2009-08-12

PCOS &  Irregular Cycles

Please can you offer me some advise on the above. I am 28 and have always had irregular cycles. My cycles vary from 32 to 90 days and there is no pattern. I have tested negative through blood tests for PCOS but the scan showed that I may have PCOS which confuses me.
What I would like to know is, what are the long term effects of having irregular cycles. I know falling pregnant is difficult but are there any other concerns I should have relating to long and irregular cycles? Besides being on contraception, is there any other cure for irregular cycles. Is it something I can ignore and just get on with life. I do have annual paps and so far have always been clear.
Thank you.

Dear Anon

Long-term consequences of anovulation (lack of ovulation) may be a gradual but persistent stimulation of your endometrium (lining of the womb) due to the somewhat elevated estrogen levels. The long-term consequences of this may in fact cause endometrial hyperplasia and in very rare instances may cause endometrial cancer (cancer of the lining of the womb). Therefore regular visits to your gynaecologist later in life may be necessary and any abnormal thickening of the lining may need to be evaluated by an endometrial biopsy. There are several methods apart from contraception that can be used to try and control this condition but unfortunately most of these methods are short term rather than long-term solutions.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: metoo | 2009-08-12

I also have the same problem but i have been tested for PCOS.i also insulin resitant, they say the great way is to eat healthy, excersise and if overweight, loose a bit, i have been eating healthy but they still irregular so im hoping to get a clear answer as you. are you trying to fall pregnant or not?

some say its not a major problem if you are not looking to get pregnant.

Reply to metoo