Posted by: Sproetjies | 2009-08-05

PCOS &  Ectopic pregnancy

Can PCOS cause an ectopic pregnancy? I was diagnosed with PCOS in my right ovary, and a few months later had an ectopic pregnancy in my right fallopian tube. What is the chance that this could be related?

Dear Sproetjies

I have not come across any literature that shows any correlation between the condition of polycystic syndrome and an ectopic pregnancy. The fact that you had an ectopic pregnancy and you may or may not have PCOS may just simply be a chance finding. It is also unlikely to only have PCOS in one ovary, it is more common that both of your ovaries will have feature of polycystic ovarian syndrome present.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo