Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2012-05-01

PCOS

I''m a 32-year-old women who suspect I have PCOS. I have dark, course facial hair, have gained 20kg in the last 8 years, and get acne and severe mood swings during PMS.

I''m not currently taking birth control pills and stick to condoms as the last time I tried Triphasil it made me really sick for 2 months with dizziness and headaches. I am really disgusted with the weight and hair and the PMS is ruining my relationships.

I know I need to see a gynae but as I''m not with a medical aid and freelancing at the moment I''d like to know how much a consult is and what my other options are i.e. can I be tested by my GP or perhaps a nurse at a Female Health Clinic at a pharmacy in my area, like Mkem or Durbel?

Thanks,
Debbie

Consultation fees vary from R500 - R1000. You really need to see a gynae if PCOS is a possibility. You could go to a state hospital if you cannot afford to go privately.

2
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2012-05-07

Posted by: Bitsy | 2012-05-02

Could you tell me which blood tests are usually recommended to help diagnose Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome?

Reply to Bitsy