Question
Posted by: Debra | 2012-01-18

PCOS

I have PCOS and am currently using Inofolic and will start my first dose of Fertomid 25mg this month.

I was prescribed one sachet of Inofolic per day. I have not had any results yet (acne reduction, weight loss). Should I use two sachets per day?

I have previously had a miscarriage at 6 weeks after using Inofolic and Fertomid.

What can I do to increase my chances of a healthy pregnancy? Should I use something like Uterogestan when I get pregnant? Should I continue using the Inofolic throughout pregnancy?

Dear Debra

I am assuming that you have been given Inofolic to use because they have found you to have a high insulin level due to the condition of PCOS. You can use Inofolic up until you do fall pregnant however it is advisable that you use Metformin in the first 8-12 weeks of [pregnancy and this has been shown to reduce the instance of miscarriage in patient with PCOS. You may not necessarily see the results of the use of Inofolic so quickly and in addition to using Inofolic you will be required to follow a very strict carbohydrate controlled diet and vigorous exercise program to see the benefits of weight loss. The use of utrogestan is usually in an IVF cycle or alternatively can be used in the presence of low progesterone when there is a possible threatened miscarriage. Otherwise one would not routinely use utrogestan.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo