Question
Posted by: Fatty | 2011/09/22

PCOS

I was diagnosed with PCOS 2 yrs ago and have gained 15kg. I am only 1.49cm and weigh 70kg. I am currently taking Euthyrox and Cipla Pioglizatone and Melodene. My problem is that no matter what eating plan(s) I follow or exercise I do, my weight does not shed. I am at wits end and feeling rather despondant. Can you suggest an eating plan, or next step to solve my problem please?

Dear PCOS
Your present BMI = 31,5 which is very high, so it would be a good idea if you could lose some weight which will also improve the PCOS. PCOS is often associated with insulin resistance which causes weight gain and hampers weightloss. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so if you are not already doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life), please start now.

2
Posted by: fatty | 2011/09/23

Thank you very much for your reply.

Reply to fatty

Dear PCOS