Question
Posted by: C | 2011/04/18

PCOS

HI there,
I was diagnosed with PCOS on friday - after about 6 months of haywire hormones. My blood work showed positive for PCOS (LH:FSH ratio), an ultrasound showed about 8-12 cysts on each ovary, and I have developed terrible acne and worsened facial hair growth in the past 6 months. It really came as quite a shock as I have never displayed any symptoms before.
I have 2 daughters (1 and 3), never had any trouble falling pregnant, had extremely healthy pregnancies, have never been overweight and have been able to lose my babyweight quickly. I am very active (I train for at least 45 mins, 7 days a week) and eat very well - I have noticed that I am craving sweet things more and more these days though.

Is it possible that this condition was lying somewhat dormant since puberty and was triggered off since my pregnancies?

My concerns are now for future fertility and the very scary prospect of insulin resistance and diabetes. Who should I turn to? Endocrinologist? Dietician?

Thank you very much for your help.

It is hard to say whether this was present from puberty or not. You can help avoid the insulin resistance by good diet and exercise program. A dietician would help and gynaecologists usually treat PCOS.

1