Question
Posted by: Naseema | 2011-03-17

P.C.O.S

Hi. I have been diagnosed with pcos about 8 years ago. I have been tryng to fall pregnant for 2 and half years, my first gyni put me on clomed for 2 months, I went to anthr gyni and he put me on clomed for 3 months with glucophage xr 500g. Iam also taking HIMALAYA. HERBAL products, I''ve been takng MENOSAN which regulated my periods, and I started takng EVECARE for 2months, I got my husband to start with SPEMAN, becoz ths ayurvedic dr said his got low sperm count. His got 2 kids from his previous marrige. My friends are on fetility treatment at brenthurst and its really not affordable for me, we have medical aid but apperantly thy dnt pay. I desperatly want a baby what other options do I have

Dear Naseema

I have no experience in the herbal products that you are using so I am not going to mention whether it is going to beneficial to you or not, however in terms of trying to achieve a pregnancy, before you use any of the medications a few important things need to be sorted out. Firstly we must not assume that your husband has a low sperm count but a full sperm test needs to done so if has already been done and if he has then got a low sperm count then we know that that maybe a contributing factor to achieve a pregnancy. The fact that have PCOS does not necessarily mean that you cannot conceive, I suggest that you first ascertain if ovulation is taking place or not and one can do that either by a blood test on a certain day of a cycle or you can do follicle monitoring to see if eggs are being produced. I am assuming that you are on Glucophage, because they found a high insulin level, this is a good thing and I suggest that you continue with that. In addition to all of the above you need to ascertain if your fallopian tubes are patent and you can either have a Laparoscopy or an /HSG to confirm that they are okay. Once all that has been done and then depending on were the problems are you need to concentrate on that. If ovulation is your only problem then the use of Clomid would be a good start, but you don’t use Clomid without knowing whether ovulation is taking place or not with Clomid. So if you are on Clomid it is important that you assess that the follicles are developing and the correct dosage of Clomid is then used in your particular case.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo