Question
Posted by: Cherise | 2011-03-07

PCOS

Good day,

I am 25 years old and have a BMI of 25.7. I am currently on Minerva, Glucophage and Cipla-Pioglitazone 15.

My husband and I would like to conceive later in the year thus I am trying to lose 8kg''s to be a healthy weight.

Being on Minerva I have regular periods in a 27 day cycle.

At which stage of my cycle should I go off the contraceptives to try and conceive, should it be a few days before I am fertile or should I give it more time?

When we try and conceive should I leave the other medication also (which was given to me for insulin-resistance).

I was diagnosed with Poly-cystic ovary syndrome about 4 years ago and since then have lost 14k''gs.

Your advice is appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Cherise

Dear Cherise

Weight loss by itself will in many instances of moderate to mild PCOS result in spontaneous return to ovulation and fertility. Therefore I would advise you to stop the Minerva and try the natural option for at least 3 months during which time you should record your menstrual cycles accurately and also use the urine LH ovulation testing kits to determine if ovulation is occurring or not. This will additionally assist in timing intercourse appropriately and optimize your chances of conception. If after 3 months a problem has been noted or no pregnancy has occurred you should consider using ovulation induction tablets such as Clomiphene citrate (Clomid, Fertomid Serophene, etc.) together with the ovulation detection kits for a period of 3 months after which I would recommend you see your fertility specialist.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

4
Posted by: Cherise | 2011-03-14

Thank you for your advice, will look into it.

Reply to Cherise
Posted by: Cherise | 2011-03-14

Reply to Cherise
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011-03-14

Dear Cherise

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: mary | 2011-03-11

If i was you, I would try and conceive. Ive been trying for over a year and still no pregnancy.

Reply to mary