Question
Posted by: Fatima | 2010/08/10

pcos

I have been diagnosed for 10years and I have endometriosis. I am 1.5m and i weigh 66 kg, will me losing weight assist my chances of falling pregnant naturally?

Dear Fatima

Not all patients with PCOS would benefit directly from weight reduction. Those with elevated fasting insulin levels or insulin resistance will benefit most from low glycaemic index diet and in weight reduction. In addition the endometriosis may play a significant role in your fertility as well and therefore I would advise you to seek help from a fertility specialist in trying to plan your best treatment option.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

4
Posted by: Leila | 2010/08/13

Hi Fatima,

I had the surgery and had the cysts, fibroids, endometriosis, etc removed. I joined weighless and was losing weight, slowly but surely. I was happy to be learning a new way to eat.

We had also tried for 7 yrs with no success. It was heartbreaking and I got very depressed and ended up on antidepressants. I never realized how deeply the infertility issues would affect me.

We decided to give it one very last try and I am pregnant. I would never have fallen pregnant without the surgery and losing weight helped too.

Are you in Joburg? Where did you have your ivf?

Reply to Leila
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/08/13

Dear Fatima

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: fatima | 2010/08/12

Thanks Leila, did you have the surgery? Also i am not sure
what diet to actually forward. i have been trying for 7 years
to fall pregnant. i tried clomid several times, IUI with Femara once and IVF which worked on the 1st try but i had a misscarriage at 7weeks.

Reply to fatima
Posted by: Leila | 2010/08/12

Fatima,

I also had pcos, endometriosis and fibroids and am pregnant. My health improved after losing some weight. I opted for the surgery to have the fibroids and endo removed. I had no response on clomid before the surgery or losing some weight, but the clomid worked after. I also started taking metformin, which is said to control the insulin resistance and aid in ovulation.

You should see a fertility specialist to get a throrough diagnosis and know the exact extent of your conditions and take it from there. Don''t lose hope. Good luck

Reply to Leila