Question
Posted by: Beverly | 2010/08/09

PCOS

Dear GyneaDoc,

I am desperate for your help, don''t know who consult!

I have been diagnosed with PCOS. My symptoms are the cysts and the 40 day periods. My glucose and insulin tests came back normal. My pituitary/thyroid was a little low, but on second test all had corrected.

I went on a diet and then onto Glucophage. I have been on Glucophage for about 3 months and have had only one 30-day period. I feel nauseous every day and my doc just says to make sure I eat regularly. My husband and I want to get pregnant and I don''t understand why I have to take Glucophage when I am not insulin resistant. I am not overweight, no facial hair, I weigh 46kg!

I am very frustrated as I don''t see results! Is this the correct treatment, or do I need more detailed blood tests? Treatment seems to be a standard thing - diet - Glucophage - Femodene. Is this generic for every patient or am I just being put through the mill???

Many thanks,
Beverly

You are right that you should not need Glucophage if you do not have insulin resistance. There is controversy about its role in infertility, though the bigger evidence seems to be that it is not necessary in the absence of insulin resistance. If you are not ovulating, you will probably need drugs to stimulate ovulation.

2

Posted by: Me | 2010/08/10

I would suggest for you to go and see a FS (Fertility Specialist) They will be able to assist you better than any normal Gynea

Reply to Me