Question
Posted by: queen | 2009-04-15

pcos

hi doc! i am 30 yrs of age i was diagnosed with pcos in 2007 and i have never been to the doctor again! and i think of going to see my gynae again next month. do you think my situation has worsened because i have not been treated for such along time..??are my changes of getting pregnant getting thinner because of this?

Dear Queen

The general trend in PCOS is for gradual deterioration, the exception is in cases in which dietary manipulation has been instituted as well as significant weight-loss has been achieved. In such cases spontaneous return to ovulation and as well as fertility can be expected provided that there is a significant obesity factor and insulin resistance factor.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim